Thursday, January 24, 2013

Help Wayside With Your Words: 1st in a series

Many of the students who participate in Wayside Theatre’s Education in Action programming aren’t able to contribute financially to our campaign.  They asked what they could do, and the answer was this: you can help Wayside with your words.  Tell people your experience, share it with the world, and tell our community why this little theatre with a big heart deserves their support—now and in the future.  Today’s post is the first in a series, where you’ll see videos and testimonials that are in our kids’ own words (or in some cases, their parents’ words). 

I hope you enjoy these—they are heartfelt, and truly thought-provoking.  If you’re wondering what the EiA programs offer, here’s your answer.

“I started taking classes at Wayside when I was pretty young, and now I am a part of the Young Ambassadors Guild (YAG). I love the theatre, and all of the friends I have made there, and I don’t want to lose it. At Wayside I have been given the skills and opportunities to participate in professional theatre in the same way an adult would. I have never been given less responsibility or trust than the adults I have worked with, because it is assumed that I can and will do my part. The experience I have gained has been invaluable, but that is not the only thing the theatre has done for me. As a part of YAG, I feel like part of a family. The other kids are my friends, and we don’t have the mean competitive streak that I see in high school drama departments. That’s not to say that we aren’t competitive, because we certainly are, but we support each other."



“I have been able to experience all parts of theatre, from acting and working backstage, to running the concession stand and fundraising. Because of this, I have an understanding of the amount of work that goes into a production that is never even seen. Sets are built, costumes are made, props are lost and found, dishes are washed, hair is put up, stages are swept, lines are forgotten, lighting and sound cues are set, and all the audience ever sees is single, polished version of what took months of preparation. Maybe ticket prices cover what you see that one night, but what about everything else? The people who work here are real people. They aren’t movie stars, but this isn’t just a hobby either. They are real people, and this is their real job that they go to every day. I don’t know what I want to do when I graduate college. I’m not even sure what I want to do in college. But I love theatre, and I think it is amazing that something I do for fun could actually be a job.



"As a young child I was very shy around people I didn’t know. Even now, I am reserved in new situations. But somehow, I have never had a problem performing on stage. I have just been cast as Miranda in the Tempest and I don’t expect to have any problem fully immersing myself in the character and sharing the story with whoever comes to the performances, but I have been given bad grades on school presentations for not speaking up or making eye contact. There is something about the magic of taking on another person’s life as your own and stepping into another world that has always pushed aside any shyness I might have had. Wayside has taught me, encouraged me, and given me a place to have my voice heard.



“I would be devastated if Wayside had to close and future opportunities for young actors were lost. I know many kids my age who call the theatre their home-away-from-home, or their second family, and I feel the same way. There is a strong connection between everyone who works together at this theatre, and it deserves to be supported and protected.”


No comments:

Post a Comment